Saturday

Thinking about paper.....

In my trails of printing the violins I found the archival paper worked best, however deiciding this would become a final piece in my exhibition for the end of the MFA programe, I wanted to think hard about what I wanted people to think about the work, how I wanted it perceived and how I might bring all the elements I have experimented with together in the final show.
It struck me that the memories that come to us through the senses, memories that fleet in and out of thought when we hear, play, compose music, are fleeting, fragile, they shift in and out we might hear one cord of a song and a person comes to mind, they fill us with a memory,
This got me questioning the way I print these memories, I want them to show this fragility, not to be bold, very unlike my lino cuts, I want them to almost disapear into thin air, so....
I tried out different papers...and found that Japanese Kozo paper of the thinnest quality from ordered specially from London, worked the best.
The images did exactly what I wanted them to, they floated, they were ephemeral, drifting in and out of existence, you could see through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment