Wednesday

A question of paint??????

In the first few weeks of the course I am struggling with talking about myself and the 'work' I find it hard to keep going over why it is I paint what I paint, it begins to feel like justification, and I am constantly worried that less is more in the art world, and that if I only had a mark on a canvas it would encourage more discourse, perhaps people want to see more conceptual art, but where does that leave me?
I include a quote by Jenny Saville, who at some point even she felt the same, and considering what an amazing painter she is I am slightly reassured.

"the very act of painting is a potential embarrassment-something that can only be justified by assosiation with more up-to-date practices.....painting is difficult to rationalise and when you put paint down, its an intuitive process, so in art school where things have to be justified, painting falls behind. In art school there's a guilt loaded onto painting."

No comments:

Post a Comment