Monday

Learning and informing...

By looking at the book Portrait Painting Atelier which gives demonstrations of Old Masters' techniques and traditional portraiture I have learned some of the important skills I now need to work on, I have gained knowledge in what I essentailly lack, I need to learn more about structuring the composition and grounds, of creating softer tones rather than the harsh layer of colour I have been using.
Robert  Liberace, in a workshop December                                           Robert Liberace


By looking at this book it lead me to the work of Robert Liberace who is an astounding painter, drawer and sculptor, and who teaches many classes on technical painting, and how to create these portraits. He has also posted a video on youtube.com which shows how he paints a portrait, it is a quick demonstration of the type of technique he uses, this was very informative. Here I include some of his works which I think demonstrate the process behind them, and also depict what I strive to try and achieve, I would like to somehow find my own style that draws upon some of these old techniques. He too encourages his students to vigorously study anatomy. 
www.robertliberace.com


PORTRAITS In April of 2003 Robert received the Portrait Society of America's
Grand Prize Award in their annual International Portrait Competition. The previous year he placed Best of Show. The winning portraits were featured in International Artist Magazine. Another of his portraits graced the cover of The Artist's Magazine, April 2007. Robert has been commissioned to paint portraits for clients such as Marc Pachter, long-time Director of the National Portrait Gallery, George H. Bush, Senior, and Ambassador Sol Linowitz. Rob's portrait demonstrations have become a favorite for students attending the Portrait Societies' Portrait Academies. One is written up here. For more information go to www.portraitsociety.org. 






No comments:

Post a Comment