Wednesday

From paint to pencil....

After painting in the studio for the past three weeks, I arranged a tutorial to see how my work was progressing. The tutorial brought to my attention my painting technique, or perhaps lack of as it seemed was the opinion, to look at it positively, as my skills audit demonstrates I can become over emotional or sensitive to things...I will take from the tutorial that the way to move forward is to go backwards and start to work from life, work on my drawing ability. My work maybe is only reflecting the photograph and not what I essentially want it to depict, which is the personality of the sitter/person/friend. The work is perhaps flat in appearance, and in order to move forward in portraiture I should look at the structure of the face. So these are the things I now need to do:


  • Start sketching from life
  • Look at ways that other artists show the face and understand the difference between their representation and my own, and see how they make the face project out of the canvas, how it is not a replica of the photo
  • Understand the structure of the face itself, so that it is easier to comprehend where light and dark, shadowing is coming from, the contours, and flesh structure. 
  • Gain this knowledge from looking at anatomy. 
  • Make a catalogue of photographs from all different angles of some important faces I want to paint from, so that I can then see the face from all the angles at once to paint from. 


No comments:

Post a Comment